Saturday 23 February 2013

Universal Design for Learning

I have now received some more information that relates to my forthcoming ADE orientation session in March - released via iTunes U from the ADE Institute.  The nice thing about iTunes U is that it connects pretty seamlessly to iBooks and of course to standard websites.  So a couple of interesting looking iBooks have come my way, and also a website which I had never heard of, for the National Center (sic) on Universal Design for Learning.
The purpose of UDL is to design learner-centred materials that encompass Recognition Networks (the 'what' of learning), Strategic Networks (the 'how' of learning) and Affective Networks (the 'why' of learning).  Coupled with this are multiple means of representation (aligned to Recognition Networks), Action and Expression (Strategic Networks) and Engagement (Affective Networks).  This does sound like yet more edu-speak at first glance, but what I like is that the website links to a variety of research papers that explore the reasoning behind this methodology. Apple's take on this is to produce a variety of learner-centred materials that align with these three principles, and of course you can imagine how iBooks, iTunes U and a host of creative apps could plug into this.  So interesting times lay ahead for me in terms of materials that I will be producing.

No comments:

Post a Comment