Thursday 13 December 2012

Just who is the teacher here?


Reading all about third millennium learners and how they are that much more collaborative and social and independent in their approach to educational materials, visiting the likes of iTunes U and the Kahn Academy and taking learning into their own hands….and yes I teach in a school where I can imagine that happens a great deal.  But it was brought home to me on the evening of my ADE application when I was trying to overlay a soundtrack that I had made in Garageband into iMovie.  It is a bit of a bind if you are not familiar with sharing things via iTunes (as opposed to Save As on a Windows machine using something like Audacity).  Anyway I was searching for answers on youtube as one does, and I came across this video:

Now this exactly met my needs and it explained what I had to do perfectly.  And it was delivered by a schoolboy who is known as techkidhelp101 who could not surely have been any older than Year 9, and in fact may well be younger.  So here I am as Director of ICT in a major International School, with 13 years of teaching experience under my belt, being taught by an anonymous school child from somewheresville how to do something fairly technical.  AND notice that he has an entire channel that he posts instructional videos into.  Is he charging for this?  No.  Does he get some long term hidden benefit out of this?  Probably not.  Is he trying to monetize this as a service?  I doubt it.  He is simply sharing his knowledge across the web because he thinks it is a cool thing to do, spreading the word, and utterly empowering himself as a provider of knowledge - which is exactly what teachers used to do back when I started.  
Isn't that amazing really if you think about it?  What a modern world we are in, what a flipped world.  I know that there are plenty of children who are nowhere near anything like this level of communication and technical skill, and I don't want to make assumptions that everybody is doing this all the time.  But when I find people who do, then they become nuggets of gold in my teacher brain and it does make me think that the modern world is an amazing place, and that we as a profession need to adapt to it pretty quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment