Friday 16 November 2012

It's a connected world


A couple of recent online postings caught my interest this week. Firstly I joined a twitter group for The Headteachers Roundtable, the purpose of which is to help create education policy which is centered upon what is best for the learning of all children.  And who wouldn't want that?

The second occurred a couple of days ago where I followed a Guardian link to a ICT curriculum proposal from Bill Mitchell of the BCS.

The google doc is here, open until 19th November, and by the way it is open to students too.

Quite matter of factly I have been leaving my 2 pennorth worth via tweets, and in the comments section of the google doc, and I am still old enough to be struck by just how amazing it is that I am able to have a say in such groups.  It made me feel that I am part of the democratisation of the internet.  Now making me feel that way, and me actually being that way are two different things.  But when I think of being a schoolboy in Rochdale who was studying Computer Science in 1986, programming the code that would create the space station in Elite via logo (yes really)…I would have been stunned to think that I could have even the tiniest say in shaping a draft educational policy that would then be presented in a matter of days to the DfE.

So here we are, in the Third Millennium of knowledge democratisation and able to make that smallest element of difference.  Who would have thought it?


No comments:

Post a Comment